- Inception: 2004
- Location: 101 Metro Drive, Suite 250, San Jose, CA 95110
- Status: 501(c)3 non-profit organization (EIN #: 54-2139690)
- AKA: FHCE or Coverage For All
The Foundation for Health Coverage Education was founded by Phil Lebherz, an insurance-industry veteran for over 30 years, when he recognized that there were free and low-cost health coverage options throughout the United States for which people were eligible, but not enrolled.
With the mission to simplify both public and private health insurance eligibility information to help more people access coverage, FHCE created its first resource in 2004: the California Health Care Options Matrix, a tri-fold pamphlet that listed every public and private health coverage option in California, including eligibility and coverage information, approximate monthly costs and contact information.
In 2005, under the guidance of former President, Ankeny Minoux, FHCE became a national 501(c)3 non-profit organization, producing customized Health Coverage Options Matrixes for every state in the country, including Washington D.C.
In 2007, FHCE centralized the entire U.S. health coverage system on CoverageForAll.org. The site now hosts all of FHCE’s valuable resources, including its Health Coverage Eligibility Quiz, and acts as a reference for associations, like the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association, the American Diabetes Association and the American Lung Association. Recognized by foundations and corporations, like Google, WellPoint Foundation, and Pfizer, and media outlets, such as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNN, The Washington Post and ABC, FHCE has helped over 4.4 million people navigate the complex health insurance system.
From 2004-2012, FHCE successfully ran the U.S. Uninsured Help Line helping over 150,000 people find coverage through a 24/7 live call center. In 2012, FHCE decided to shift its focus and resources to help people primarily online.
Outreach Efforts through January 2013
CoverageForAll.org Website Visitors: 5,223,969 (since January 2007)
U.S. Uninsured Help Line Callers: 161,008 (since February 2005)
Eligibility Quiz Respondents: 502,441(since September 2009)
Media Impressions: 4,685,772,509 (since January 2005)
As a tax exempt, non-profit organization governed by Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code, the Foundation for Health Coverage Education (FHCE) is prohibited as an institution from political activity. Therefore, FHCE does not participate in campaigns for candidates for public office, nor does it support or oppose specific candidates or parties.
- To protect the Foundation for Health Coverage Education’s commitment to non-partisanship, our staff members and volunteers observe the following principles and rules with regard to political activity.
- FHCE staff may consult with candidates and campaigns on a strictly non-exclusive basis. Advice, research, publications, and reports administered by the Foundation for Health Coverage Education are available to government officials, legislators, political candidates, and others regardless of political affiliation. Staff should never make promises of exclusive access or advice.
- Staff may not appear as surrogates for candidates before the media or the public, and should refrain from representing or counseling them at public events or media appearances.